Amos Slade is the (former) main antagonist of The Fox and the Hound and The Fox and the Hound 2. He is Tod's former arch-nemesis, Chief and Copper's owner, leader and boss and Widow Tweed's neighbour and former arch-rival.
He was voiced by the late Jack Albertson in the first movie and he was voiced by Jeff Bennett in the midquel, who also voiced Ozzy from The Land Before Time II:The Great Valley Adventure, Mutt from The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving and Ichy from The Land Before Time IV: Journey through the Mists.
Amos Slade is bad-tempered, angry, mean, dangerous, cranky, grumpy, cruel and ruthless.
Although he was the antagonist of the film, he cares about his dogs, Chief and Copper
Amos Slade is shown to hate foxes as he tried to kill Tod however, when Amos Slade reforms, he decided that he shouldn't kill Tod as he understands that Tod is not a bad fox as Copper stopped him from trying to kill Tod and in dog language, Copper was convincing Amos that he can't kill Tod because Tod is Copper's best friend.
He was also cowardly when The Bear attacks him.
When Copper was a pup, Amos was strict since he did not allow Copper to wander off.
- Amos Slade is the only antagonist in The Fox and the Hound who is a human.
- Amos Slade resembles The Milkman from the 1970 Disney movie, The Aristocats.
- In the first film, it was revealed that Amos Slade cooks grits and fatback as Chief mentioned.
- Amos Slade and his oldest dog, Chief both have the same eyebrows.
- Most fans thought Amos Slade was the hunter who killed Tod's Mother however it is debatable since some fans say that Amos killed Tod's Mother and some think it was another hunter who killed her.
- Despite being the main antagonist of The Fox and the Hound, some fans think that Amos Slade is not a villain. However, he is a villain because he commits crimes such as animal cruelty, attempted murder, poaching, trespassing, threats and arson.